[K12OSN] RE: upgrades

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 17:46:12 UTC 2005

Sean,

I'm the guy you're talking about.  I completely
understand where you're coming from and I personally
like getting a new system every once in a while, if it
actually gives me new features I need.

But consider my grandfather who would only get rid of
his clunky old '87 Impala station wagon if he could
find a better '87 Impala station wagon.  He's not one
of the people I maintain a computer for, but my mother
shares his DNA and I maintain her computer...  She
drove an '85 Suburban way past its prime because she
couldn't find another vehicle with a bench seat in the
front.

On your Knoppix install, do you install it "normal" or
do you install it by copying the CD iso to the hard
drive?  I think there might be a benefit in booting
from the hard drive as if it was a live cd, because it
would always auto-detect its hardware and not pop up
any confusing dialog boxes saying scary stuff like
"new hardware was found".

These are the situations I have to deal with.

-Rob