Fwd: Re: [ok-mail] [K12OSN] pam_mount

John Hansknecht jhansknecht at hanstech.com
Tue Apr 5 17:14:27 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 11:28, Nathan Sinton wrote:
> Ok, I've got pam_mount working with only one small problem.  When the
> user logs out the home directory isn't unmounted.  I've got: "lsof
> /usr/sbin/lsof %(MNTPT)"  and "umount /bin/umount %(MNTPT)" in
> pam_mount.conf which I believe is all pam_mount needs to unmount the
> directory.  Do I need something else or is there a way to setup a
> timeout of say 30 minutes before the home directories are unmounted?

I found I had trouble unmounting until I switched to a 'lazy' umount. Look in
your /etc/security/pam_mount.conf for the umount line:

umount   /bin/umount -l

By default the umount had a "-f" switch, I switched it to a "-l" (as shown
above) to use a lazy umount. There are two disclaimers in the conf file
regarding this usage but I suspect for your usage neither will able. For the
regard the disclaimers are:

# Linux supports lazy unmounting (-l).  May be dangerous for encrypted
volumes.
# May also break loopback mounts because loopback devices are not freed.

--
Thanks,

John

Thanks,

John

 system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
                - Mattrol at uscom.com (Drakmere)