[K12OSN] FC3 woes ... some clients can't find DHCP server

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:33:33 UTC 2005

So, don't give up on that software, Richard.  It took me some time,
but I have come to really appreciate it.  The free workstation manager
solves a lot of problems for me, including sound!

If you changed the default setting in Symbiont, it doesn't let a
workstation log on until you invite it to.  Which is really handy for
a large install, since it tells you what machines by mac address are
trying to log on as you boot them up one by one.

Steve

On Apr 5, 2005 1:09 PM, richard ingalls <aslansreturn at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, I think I know what the problem is...
>
> I had just freshly installed FC3 via NFS (first time
> NFS install).  Then someone told me about the Symbiont
> Management software (gpl'd RPM from Symbiont) and I
> installed it.  I must have made some tweaks in this
> software that messed up the default install.  I will
> do another complete install of FC3, this time no
> Symbiont.
>

> --- Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> > > That is interesting that some clients work, some
> > don't.
> > >
> > > Do you have a default network configuration? (i.e.
> >
> > > eth0=192.168.0.254 and eth1 connected to your LAN)
> > >
> > > What do you see in /var/log/messages when a broken
> > terminal
> > > tries to boot?
> > >
> > > Do you see a /etc/dhcpd.conf.rpmsave or
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf.rpmnew?
> > >
> > > Can you attach a copy of your current
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf?
> >
> > Is there a common denominator?  Say some are booting
> > PXE, some another
> > way, and only the PXE clients are working.  Maybe
> > some have intel NIC's
> > and some 3Com, and only the 3Com NIC machines are
> > booting.
> >

> > --
> > dangerous content by the Cotter Technology
> > Department, and is believed to be clean.

Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct