[K12OSN] Upgrading firefox

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 17:26:11 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 9:57 AM, Lewis Holcroft <lewis at pcc.com> wrote:

> On the FC2 mainchine I'm running I installed the tar ball into
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.2 and followed Roberts advice and created a simple
> shell script.

Just a caveat, if you redirect with a tiny script you will end up with
2 firefox processess for each instance. Kind of messy when you are
watching processes under 'top' (that's why it's a dirty solution).

> I still have to link the plugins, but it's been such a long time since
> I had to so that I have to dig up some old notes.

download the flash plugin from here

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Flash

untar it

tar -xvzf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

then just copy libflashplayer.so to the plugins dir in your firefox
installation and flashplayer.xpt to your firefox components directory

then (assuming you have installed java) make the following link

libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

by typing the following all on one line in the plugins dir

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
libjavaplugin_oji.so

Also, if you have a proxy server do the following. As root edit
firefox/defaults/pref/firefox.js

find the network section and add the following 3 lines

pref("network.proxy.type",                      1);
pref("network.proxy.http",     "your_proxy_address");
pref("network.proxy.http_port",              8080);

Most http ports are set to 8080 but ensure it's correct for you.
this way you don't have to set the proxy if you add any new users.

--
Robert Arkiletian