[K12OSN] Printertrouble on K12LTSP4.2

Trond Mæhlum trond at mahlum.biz
Fri Apr 8 11:09:21 UTC 2005

fre, 08,.04.2005 kl. 13.59 +0300, skrev mella:
> >I have gotten into some printertrouble in K12LTSP4.2. I believe this
> > must be an FC3 thing, since it didn't happen in K12LTSP4.0.
>
> I have also such problem with HP LJ4 printers and problems begin after upgrading to FC3.
>
> If anybody print Letter format to A4 printer, it needs user manual intervention on printer panel. If user let it be, CUPS switches queue off after some time. Printer still show "READY".
>
> I still have no solution and I do localhost:631 and "configure printer" cycle for stopped queue. Ant I start queue again.
>
> Problem is definitely in CUPS configuration. Maybe some kind of timeouts.

I also still have problems with printers going offline in cups. The show ready on the printerpanel.
Same solution as above, to get the printer running again. Now I have to
log into every server several times a day to do this. I got a tip from
the Norwegian Skolelinux list to make Firefox print through kprinter,
but it made no difference.

I too think this is some kind of cups thing from FC3. I went from FC1 to
FC3, and this never happened on FC1. I can't say that this happens with
letter/A4. I have set up A4 as default - also in Firefox' "all.js" file.
Is there perhaps some way of using another printserver than cups? What
about the old one from RH8? Was it called lprng or something? I have to
pursue every option as I'm getting desperate about this problem...

Regards
Trond