[K12OSN] Regressions after yum update

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Apr 10 16:50:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I have downloaded the test xorg-x11 packages but cannot test them until I
> get into school on Monday.  I will let you know.
>
> Regarding hwclock, the work around of adding the line
>
> CLOCKFLAGS="--directisa"
>
> to /etc/sysconfig/clock does work on our Dell PowerEdge 2800.
>
> Can I also ask a question.  In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on about line 242,
> there is a test for the existence of /etc/sysconfig/clock.
>
> if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/clock ]; then
>   . /etc/sysconfig/clock
>
> What does the "." on the second line do?  There is a space after it.

" . " is short-hand for "source", which you can think of as an "include"
statement. ;-)

>From the bash man page:

         .  filename [arguments]
        source filename [arguments]
               Read  and  execute  commands from filename in the current shell
               environment and return the exit status of the last command exe-
               cuted  from  filename.   If  filename does not contain a slash,
               file names in PATH are used to find  the  directory  containing
               filename.   The  file  searched  for  in  PATH need not be exe-
               cutable.  When bash is not in posix mode, the current directory
               is  searched  if  no  file is found in PATH.  If the sourcepath
               option to the shopt builtin command is turned off, the PATH  is
               not  searched.   If any arguments are supplied, they become the
               positional parameters when filename is executed.  Otherwise the
               positional  parameters are unchanged.  The return status is the
               status of the last command exited within the script  (0  if  no
               commands  are  executed), and false if filename is not found or
               cannot be read.

-Eric