[K12OSN] School Size

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Tue Apr 12 16:03:55 UTC 2005

CAVEAT:  I usually don't post like this, so I apologize if this comes
off too self promoting.

Al,

This is one of the main reasons why we (Symbio Technologies) developed
the Symbiont Boot Appliance.  This appliance can be placed either in
each classroom or in a central server closet in the school and boots the
terminals thru LTSP and connects them to application servers of almost
*any* type, including WTS and Linux terminal servers.  It is a great
alternative to traditional thin clients connecting to Windows *or*
Linux.  More importantly, it can be used as a very effective "wedge"
technology to get LTSP into the school first connecting to Windows
exclusively and then introduce a Linux application server at a later
date.  You don't even need to tell them that the SBA is Linux!  It is
just like a router - just another appliance ...

Plus, it can make the Linux side easier, as well, because the Linux
application servers that you drop in only need XDMCP enabled.  No need
for LTSP on any of them.  This way, if you want to experiment with other
distributions or upgrade application servers and take them down, you
don't need to migrate the LTSP settings along with the servers.  We
envision racks with:  Boot Appliance, Authentication/File Server, and
application servers of various flavors.  And you can control which
workstations go to which servers thru the SBA's web-based interface.

Again, sorry for the sales pitch, but the situation you're in is exactly
the kind that we are trying to build products for....

Best regards and good luck with whatever approach you take!

-Gideon

Gideon Romm | Product R&D gideon at symbio-technologies.com

Symbio Technologies                     o:(914) 576-1205
134 North Ave, Suites E&F               f:(914) 576-0944
New Rochelle, NY 10801                  c:(914) 774-4691

                www.symbio-technologies.com
                    www.thesymbiont.com