[K12OSN] Can not access science web site. Can firefox masquerade as another browser?

Ben Mabbott bmabbott at riverdale.k12.or.us
Thu Apr 14 17:31:12 UTC 2005

Rob Owens wrote:

>what exactly does "switching the user agent of the
>browser" do?  I just tried installing this extension
>and used it to visit an IE-only site, but no joy.
>Does this extension simply report to the website that
>the browser is IE, or does it actually implement some
>IE-only functionality?

Right, all it does is report to the server that your browser is IE, it
doesn't provide any IE functionality like ActiveX. This was useful in
the days when there were lots of sites that would not display unless
your browser was IE or Netscape, presumably because webmasters wanted to
standardize and not worry about whether other browsers would format
their pages properly. If the server could be tricked into thinking the
browser was IE, it would work just fine.

These days it's pretty rare to run into sites like that, but it still
happens once in a while. Unfortunately, in their place have come sites
that really do have code only IE can process.

-Ben