[K12OSN] users kicked out on 4.2.1

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Thu Apr 14 19:31:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Eric Harrison wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>
> > Dear Folks,
> > 	after upgrading my 3.2.0 production server to 4.2.1 (pre), I
> > started experiencing sudden user logouts and station inability to get a
> > login screen. This looks as if the MaxSessions in gdm.conf was
> > too low, but the bad behavior continues after changing this number from
> > 250 to 2500 and rebooting. What am I missing here? The users are beginning
> > to riot.
> > thanks, julius
>
> Since you did an upgrade, there is a chance that something is wrong
> with the SELinux config. Try turning off SELinux enforcing mode
> by running this command:
>
>  	echo 0 > /selinux/enforce
>

> If that makes your problem go away, you can either permanently turn
> off enforcing or relabel the file system.
>
> To change the SELinux behavor, edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and reboot.
>
> To relabel the filesystem, this should do the trick:
>
>  	restorecon -R /
>

> If turning off SELinux doesn't fix it, can you provide us with a
> little more info? Otherwise we're mostly just guessing.
>
> * contents of /var/log/gdm/*.log
> * your config (one NIC or two NICs, etc)
> * unusual output from "dmesg"
> * anything interesting in /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure, etc.
>
> -Eric
Sorry for the long silence, too many meetings. The problem persists. cat
/selinux/enforce comes up empty, that is returns nothing, after echo 0 >
/selinux/enforce it still comes back with nothing, not a "0".  The only
strange stuff I could find in /var/log/messages looks like this:

Apr 13 10:12:45 solinden rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
ws102.turt le.com:657 for /opt/ltsp/i386 (/opt/ltsp/i386)

Apr 13 10:12:45 solinden gdm[31911]: Ping to ws078.turtle.com:0 failed,
whacking display!

Apr 13 10:12:45 solinden gconfd (jszoke-11191): Received signal 15,
shutting down cleanly

Apr 13 10:12:45 solinden gconfd (jszoke-11191): Exiting

Apr 13 10:12:48 ws102 syslogd started: BusyBox v0.60.4
(2004.11.12-23:02+0000)

The workstation where user jszoke was forcibly logged out is ws078.

The only visible configuration change between the old and new setup is
that now I have the xscreensaver running; previously it was disabled.

dmesg looks fine, other than many avc messages. I did set SELinux to
"warn" at upgrade time.

/var/log/gdm/:0.log was last updated on Apr 11, no event recorded after
that date.

The configuration is 2 Xeon processors, 4GB, 2 Gig NICs, eth0 feeding
terminals - standard, other than the network address. dhcpd doesn't give
out addresses to unknown devices.

I am a bit at a loss here, and how do I turn off xscreensaver - the
hardware screen blanking is just fine and consumes no bandwidth. Thanks,
julius