[K12OSN] users kicked out on 4.2.1

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Apr 14 21:30:53 UTC 2005

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Eric Harrison wrote:
>

>>Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>>

>>>Apr 13 10:12:45 solinden gdm[31911]: Ping to ws078.turtle.com:0 failed,
>>>whacking display!
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>The workstation where user jszoke was forcibly logged out is ws078.
>>
>>There is the guilty party right there. If the server cannot ping a
>>terminal, after a period of time it assumes the terminal is dead and
>>kills off the session. The default for this is 15 seconds.
>>
>>You can change this value in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:
>>
>>PingIntervalSeconds=15
>>

> This forces me to ask some questions: 1. why it can not be pinged - when I
> ping it it is always fine. 2. why when this happens -nobody- can log in.
> Of course the answer to those question is "network problem", but I had no
> changes to the network from before the upgrade. julius

At least it helps narrow down the problem set.

The first thing that jumps to my mind is an ethernet driver problem. Or
maybe the RJ45 cable got kinked as you were moving the system around.
Etc, etc.

I'd run dmesg, ifconfig, and scan /var/log/messages looking for anything
related to the ethernet. If it is connected into a managed switch, I'd
check the logs there & stats on the port. Etc, etc.

I actually had this happen to me about an hour ago! I have an old junk
Netgear hub shoved under my desk that started spontaneously rebooting. I
fixed mine by plugging the terminal directly into the wall ;-)

-Eric