[K12OSN] users kicked out on 4.2.1

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Fri Apr 15 17:49:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> > Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> >>
> >> I upped the ping interval to 30 seconds, to no avail. one station
> >> spontaneously lost display twice, but over the course of the week it
> >> happened to all the stations. Maybe switches - relatively new HP
> >> Procurve,
> >> limited management capability. I am now running continous ping to the
> >> station that had most problems. I wonder if I'll see any packet loss. My
> >> gut feeling (and I do have a considerable gut) is that this is -not- a
> >> hardware issue. I'll concentrate on watching one station and I'll get
> >> all
> >> the data about it from the /var/log/messages at the end of the day.
> >> Maybe
> >> it will point us to something. The ping now running will tell us if
> >> there
> >> is a real networking issue, or is gdm imagining something.
> >> thanks, julius
> >>

> > If this turns out to be a GDM-specific bug, you can turn this feature
> > off completely by setting the ping interval to 0.
> >
> > 	PingIntervalSeconds=0
> >

> Eric, thank you, very good point. Why didn't I think of it :-)
> I'll do that. As you can see from the message that crossed ways with
> yours, it doesn't seem to be a network issue. julius

But, the pinginterval is there for a reason.  To detect displays that
have dissappeared or are hung up for some reason.

That's how GDM knows that it should kill any child processes if a user
turns off their terminal.

Also, the 'ping' that you are running is an icmp echo request.

The 'ping' that gdm is running is an X request.

It's sounding to me like your Xserver has hung, but your kernel is still
responding to icmp pings.

The next trick will be figuring out why your Xserver would hang.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org