[K12OSN] Mobile Wireless Lab?

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 15:40:13 UTC 2005

I asked on the thinstation-general list, and got the following answer...

Hope it helps :)

Jon

TechFan <lists.sf.net at ourholm.net> wrote:

I have gotten wireless PCMCIA network cards working as of last week.  I
hadn't tried much before because unless I could encrypt it with WPA, it
wasn't an option in my environment.  I finally was officially asked to
get wireless working for a specific user and since I really wanted to
keep with a totally thinstation environment in that department, I
decided it was time to at least try to get it working.  I had to find a
802.11g card (more often support WPA) that could have a linux driver and
I ended up picking Atheros based network cards (they use the open source
madwifi support (can work in rc2, but should be working in rc3), but I
still haven't look at the details of the settings it has available
(though I need to include it for the tools) since I wanted to use
driver).  Pieter had previously created a wireless package and fixed
PCMCIAunsupported WPA encryption which I only remember possibly one
other person mentioning they had used before with thinstation.  I had to
recompile the kernel and compile the madwifi driver against the TS
source and and wpa_supplicant against the madwifi source, but I did get
it working just last week.  Since it requires the kernel to be
recompiled (only 3 checkmarks need to be changed - Crypto API and two of
the sub-options which I made Modules), it probably won't make it into
the general release and thus a package wouldn't be that helpful (and I
don't know how to create one anyway - with dependencies, etc).

Jon "Four Star Gun" Spriggs AKA
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs