[K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Bill Bardon bill at computassist.com
Wed Apr 20 19:51:25 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, Apr 20 The Prof wrote:
> Given that the major driving force which helped me discover LTSP was
> the ability to afford Windows, with that roadblock gone, what reason
> is there not to go with Windows?

The key thing here, which some have touched on, is this - don't make the
argument for Linux about price!  Make it about licensing, make it about
open formats and data ownership, make it about security.

I've seen a few case where people were told how much cheaper it is to
run Linux, which is true.  But as soon as somebody came along and
removed the MS price barrier, everyone thought, "great, now we can get
our Windows back."  Even Microsoft is trying this ploy with municipal
governments that are thinking of switching to Linux.  MS offers big
discounts up front.  But the costs down the line are huge.  Not only in
dollars, but in freedoms lost - freedom to upgrade or NOT upgrade, as
you choose, on your timetable, freedom to modify the code to do what
you need, freedom from viruses and spyware, freedom to access your own
data however you need to.

These are much more important choices than "what color is my desktop."
And these are the Free Software advantages that MS will never be able to
match!

--
Bill Bardon
COMPUTASSIST