[K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Apr 21 02:45:20 UTC 2005

The Prof wrote:
> Hello,
> have been able to afford to upgrade all the clients to XP.  I think
> that if we had a lab of pentium 4 machines and a dual Xenon SCSI
> machine as the server (that's the type of hardware he can get us) that
> it would last us for a long, long time.

If your Church does not need this gentleman's money for any other more
noble reason, and he understands the functionality of free hardware and
software, then why fight it?  The above server can dual boot, and those
P4 machines will likely pxe boot.  The workstations can triple boot as
clients, XP machines, and gnu/debian/ubuntu.  Offer choice through
redundancy.

> Administration:  Currently with a linux lab I am the only one who can
> administer it because no one knows how or is interested in this
> 'new-fangled stuff'. If it was a Windows lab, that responsiblity could
> be spread out among at least a few people who have this ability,
> lightening my load. In addition, most of the admin/setup/etc. is done
> for free as we volunteer our time.  So it isn't like we'd cost more
> because of the increased work to them :)

The Admin argument is FUD.  If you can add users, printers, update
software, and manage files in windows or mac, then you can do the same
with FOSS distros like the K12LTSP.  If your volunteer resources cannot
do this, and you do not have a way to train them up, willingly, then
perhaps it is not time.

If your volunteer admins are managing a PDC, customized desktops, etc, then

a. They can certainly hang with the K12LTSP
b. They may yearn for a few, yet-to-be matured customization tools.

> work.  When I walk into BestBuy or open the paper I see the computers
> are being sold with Windows XP. So why are you forcing this
> non-Windows stuff on me? So what if it is less administration? Why do
> I care?  That's the dilemma.

If you have end users that feel that they are being forced, then I would
caution you to save your resources for a bigger battle.  Successful
deployments of FOSS are not about advocacy or Ripping and Replacing.
They must be the result of informed, end-user demand.

> As sad as it is to say, MANY people do not view education and school
> as a way to increase their child's capability of thought, but as a way
> to get a professional high-paying job. And I'm not about to take on
> the ideology of an entire culture. :)

If they know that FOSS is an engine for Economic Development and a
platform for Educational Entreprenerialism, then they are informed and
free to choose something else.  If they don't know this, or that the
very high paying jobs come from supporting and programming, not using,
software, then you have some informing to do.  Dropping names like
Novell, BEA Systems, CA, IBM, Oracle, HP, etc. help those who see money
in education.  Challenge those individuals to do some research before
they limit the opportunities of the youth they purport to protect.

Oh, will this kind person donate free software to the underprivileged
patrons of your church, or will they have an artificial barrier to entry
to their tech future?

> Joseph

--scott