[K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Thu Apr 21 16:02:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:14:27 -0400
The Prof <joseph.bishay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> So an idea - what about dual-booting everything?  I think someone may
> have suggested that as a possibility.
> <SNIPED>
> So is there a way I can set up the clients so that they, by default,
> boot up as LTSP cilents, unless you specify something, in which case
> they will boot up as Windows XP machines? That way I can use the
> Proliant as a LTSP server, convert the Pentium 4 server to a Windows
> Server Machine, and have both systems running?  Or is there another
> option? And how many clients do you think such a system could handle?
>
> thank you again,
> Joseph

Yep, it is very easy, and you have an number of options.  You will just
have to be careful with your DHCP setup.  Either have the LTSP server as
the only DHCP server, or have the LTSP server run on a different port.

(1) Since they are newer machines, you may have the option built right
into the BIOS as to boot from CD, HD, Network, USB, etc then you just
have to press a key during the BIOS check to switch from default (i.e.
my one computer will boot from CD 1st, Floppy 2nd, HD 3rd, but I can
press F4 during the memory check and it will boot from the Network -
PXE)  You may want to set yours up to Network 1nd, Hard Drive 2st, and
nothing (or maybe CD) 3rd.

(2) Get the correct boot floppy for your NIC over at
http://rom-o-matic.net/  Then make a few of these and stick on in each
floppy drive, with a few spares laying around.  Boot the machines from
them.  Make sure you do the advance option and change the port # for
DHCP if your LTSP server is using a different DHCP port.  This is
probably not the best option, but the quickest/easiest to start/least
destructive if you can't do option 1.

(3) Partition your hard drive into 2, hda1 with 5MB, and hda2 with
everything else. Then copy the floppy mentioned above over to the hda1
and have Windows on hda2.  You can install LILO, or GRUB, or Smart Boot
Manager (http://btmgr.webframe.org/).  In this case, I would suggest
SBM.