[K12OSN] How to launch an LTSP session from a dedicated Linux box?

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Apr 25 13:31:18 UTC 2005

I feel ridiculous, but I'm drawing a blank....I tried X -query
192.168.0.254 &  and that didn't work....here's what I'm trying to do.

I'm playing around with rolling my own Live CD....I'm using PCLinuxOS as
my base and thus far I've been able to easily and successfully roll my own
live bootable CD.  What I want to do is have icons on the desktop for the
user to launch either a Windows Terminal Server session or an LTSP
session.  They boot the computer (terminal) via the Live CD....then they
can either run a few things locally, like firefox....or they can click on
an icon and go into their regular LTSP or WinTerm session.  I've gotten
the redesktop thing to work fine, but having trouble figuring out how to
launch an LTSP session from an already running Linux box (aka currently
running X server).  If I use the command from above it tells me that the
display is already open....and of course as I'm running a session
currently on the local machine....any ideas on how to do this?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us