[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Apr 27 11:53:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 07:21 -0400, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Gavin Chester wrote:
> > The popular answer is contrary to Jeff's answer above
>
> I'm used to being unpopular, so I'll go the other way. :)  I agree with
> Jeff.  Pentium Pro is just waaaaay to old.  My thin clients have more
> horsepower than a pentium pro...

Okay, I made an ass of myself with responding to this one :-)  I just
read quad pentium and didn't stop to let it sink in that he was talking
about reeaaalllly slow old pentiums vs new hyperthreading CPU.  Doh!!

I'll try and save a little face by retractng my original answer and
rephrasing it that SMP servers are always better than single CPU servers
_when_ the CPU speed is nearly matched between the machines you're
comparing.  That's what I meant to say - and in future I'll wear bigger
boots so I can keep my foot out of my mouth ;-)

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester