[K12OSN] Squid / SquidGuard architecture

Dan Bentson-Royal dbentson at lcsd.k12.wa.us
Wed Apr 27 15:42:41 UTC 2005

There are people on this list that know lots more than me on this, but
here's my take...

bear2bar at netscape.net wrote:
1) Should this setup on a single server or two ?
      I'm assuming you are just running squidGuard and not DansGuardian,
If that's right, then I can tell you that I've run mine on a single
server just fine. I think you can even run them both if you want. See:
      http://desktops.linux.com/desktops/04/07/01/1833212.shtml
> 1a) If one how ? I get everything blocked or nothing
      Look at:
           http://www.squidguard.org/config/#example05
      to see how to have some users filtered and others not filtered.

> 1b) If two what SW goes on which box & how are they tied ?
      Again, I only use 1 server
> 2) Should  this/these servers be on their own switch/hub
connected to the outside world & then anoother connection
to a switch/hub for the lab ?
      If you are only filtering one lab, I'd have the squid box
      on the same switch that the lab is on.
> thank you for your HELP
>
> norbert

> Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
> As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register
>
> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

***NOTE***
Whenever you make a request for LCSD technical assistance, please be
sure to report this problem to our helpdesk at:
      http://help1.lcsd.k12.wa.us/helpdesk/

Dan Bentson-Royal
La Center Schools

      What are employers looking for in an employee?

      Come to work every day and be on time.
      Make smart decisions.
      Follow directions.
      Concentrate on your work and care about the quality of your work.
      Read, write, and calculate well.
      Recognize problems and find solutions.
      Finish a job when you're supposed to without sacrificing quality.
      Be honest and dependable.
      Take the lead and work hard.
      Communicate well and get along with other people...especially
customers.
      Dress properly and practice good grooming.
      Be cooperative.
      Have a positive attitude.

      From the Northwest Pennsylvania Industrial Resource Center, Inc.