[K12OSN] OpenOffice vs StarOffice

Chris Thomas cwt137 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 00:41:12 UTC 2005

You are correct that StarOffice is free to educational
institutions, but it will never be included in K12LTSP
for 2 reasons:

1. K12LTSP doesn't package commercial products. Thats
why there is a link on the desktop to download Java,
Adobe, Flash, etc.

2. To get the free copy of StarOffice, you have to
register for it at Sun.com and sign an agreement that
says you are really a educational institution.
  2a. By bundling StarOffice with K12LTSP, the
required reg. process would be bypassed. That's not
good.
  2b. Many people who are not in the education field
use K12LTSP. If StarOffice was included with K12LTSP,
many people would get StarOffice for free even though
they are not entitled to it.

There is an easy way to get rid of Open Office durring
the install process. Here is a picture of the screen
to look for:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=173&slide=14

Click on the "Customize package..."  button and then
de-select OpenOffice. Then continue normally with the
install.

Chris