[K12OSN] [reposted] yum OR apt - which?

Richard/n niurkaholt at cantv.net
Thu Apr 28 12:31:30 UTC 2005

On Thursday 28 April 2005 06:21 am, Gavin Chester wrote:
> [sent this in a week ago, but no one had time or interest.
> Any takers this time?]
>
> A quick straw poll with perhaps a weighted vote given to THE MAN
(ie,
> Eric) if he has the time to chip in an opinion :-).
>
> Which works best overall: apt or yum and what are the pros and
cons?

> (If this subject is "wiki-fied", forgive my laziness and tell me
that
> it's all been documented already ;-).)
>
> MY VIEW:
> I've always favoured apt in the past, particularly after I
discovered
> synaptic.  I mostly use that to browse packages graphically, but
I'd
> rather do the deed of updating and upgrading via a terminal.
Having
> been sold on apt by this list in the distant past, I have been
surprised to
> see Eric mostly refer to yum updates lately and almost never apt.

Have you tried "aptitude"?
It is a console app that gives all the info as synaptic but much,
much faster.  I got away from synaptic and kpackage because they
took forever but didn't tell me what they were doing.

Aptitude is a bit cryptic but there is quite a bit of documentation
available.  Yum seems to be a part of fedora.

Richard.