[K12OSN] IceWM, Gnome & Nautilus FRUSTRATIONS

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 20:26:31 UTC 2005

What USED to work:
- RedHat8.0 based K12LTSP (3.0.0) server; serving
/home out to other LTSP servers (all RH8).  No
problems.
- upgraded the OTHER classroom machines to FC3 based
K12LTSP (4.2.0); everything still worked fine

THEN
-upgraded the /home server to FC3 (4.2.0); did a
complete FRESH install

NOW students can only log in at the one classroom
where the /home server is.  If they log in at the
other classrooms, they get the IceWM bar at the bottom
of the screen, but NO desktop ICONS and NO file
manager.  ALSO, they can't even USE any of the buttons
on the taskbar.  Clicking on one results in NOTHING
happening.  NO Firefox, no OpenOffice... nada.

This used to work beautifully with RH8.  I bragged
about how little I had to work on this Linux-based
classroom network (all 4 classrooms).  NOW, I've spent
weeks trying to make this "new" supposed upgrade work.
 AAAAAAARGH!

Doesn't ANYONE have an ALL FC3 network serving /home
out to other FC3 boxes?  Can't someone tell me what is
happening and HOW to fix it?  I'm beginning to HATE
Fedora Core 3, and I don't want to.  I think it's eye
candy appeal is worth it to convince people about the
validity of Linux.  BUT no amount of eye candy is
worth this TROUBLE!