[K12OSN] IceWM, Gnome & Nautilus FRUSTRATIONS

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 10:12:16 UTC 2005

Richard,

Sounds like maybe /home really isn't mounted.  Or like
Les said, maybe the uid's don't match up right.  Try
this:

At the login screen on the server that you're having
trouble with, try to log in a user.  I expect that
you're going to have the same situation as if you
tried to log that user in at a terminal.  Then hit
ctrl-alt-f2 for a shell login prompt.  Try again to
log in a user.  Watch for a message that says
something like "home directory can't be found, using
temporary home..."  At least that's the error my
Mandrake box gives if I try to log in while /home is
not mounted.

Anyway, I think you'll probably get some kind of
error, and I think that the gui login is probably
hiding that error from you.

-Rob