[K12OSN] Las Vegas charter school moving to OSS (LTSP)

Nate Bolton nbolton at ekacademy.org
Tue Aug 2 20:02:40 UTC 2005

We are very excited to be moving this year from a school heavily
dependent on MS to an OSS based school.  To do this, we are looking to LTSP.

As a charter school, we frown on text books as resources for learning
and are learning to use technology instead.  Instead of text books for
every student, we need computers for every student.  The best computers
we can afford, unfortunately, are free computers.  We have been
collecting old computer donations from various charitable sources and we
have set up a small lab with one LTSP server and 6 thin clients.

Now we are ready to move to 120 thin clients and as many servers as we
need.  In fact, we will be meeting at our school building, located at
Tropicana and Sandhill, on Thursday, August 4th, at 6pm to plan for the
implementation of LTSP and other needed services.  Anyone who would like
to help us with advice or who may be interested in learning this for
themselves are free to attend.

We appreciate the help found in these lists.  As we learn, we hope to be
able to share our experience.  If there is advice any of you can offer
to a young school enveloping itself in the world of OSS, we will be very
grateful to hear it.

--
Nate Bolton
Director of Information Technology