[K12OSN] DansGuardian and SG blacklists...how to randomize?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Aug 3 13:34:24 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wed Aug  3 2005 at 01:03 +0000 wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, David Trask wrote:
>
>> So....my question...any idea on how to randomize the blacklists from
>Eric?
>> I'd be willing to do it and then host it or send it back to Eric for
>> hosting.  I just have no clue at this point how to do it....anyone?
>
>It would be trivial for me to "unsort" the list and export it like I do
>the sorted list.
>
>But not tonight, my brain is too fried from a long day ;-)
>
>-Eric

Eric....you da' man!

Here's a script to help you out!  :-)   Wish I could say I wrote it, but I
didn't....Got it from Stephen Noble in Dungog, Australia....and I think he
originally got it from the DG site.  Nonetheless, if you're able to
randomize your lists...that'd be awesome as DG is so gawdawful slow at
awesome list.  I've been using it for years now.  :-)

Script below:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# randomize source file
# lines are output in random order

# reads from from stdin or arg0, writes to stdout or arg1
open (STDIN, $ARGV[0]) if (($ARGV[0] ne "") && ($ARGV[0] ne "-"));
open (STDOUT, ">$ARGV[1]") if ($ARGV[1] ne "");

@list = <STDIN>;

while (@list) {
  $rand = rand (@list);
  print $list[$rand];              # for indexing rand is truncated
  splice @list, $rand, 1;          # delete array element
}

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinatort