[K12OSN] Roaming profiles

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Aug 3 14:48:39 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wed Aug  3 2005 at 10:18 +0000 wrote:
>How does one shut off roaming profiles? I rem'ed out the stuff in the
>startup.bat file and commented out the [profiles] in the smb.conf. and
>that gives me an error message at the client that says a server copy of
>your roaming profile could not be located... How do I get rid of this?
>The wiring in this building stinks and syncing has been an issue, that's
>why I want to shut them off.
>Thanks
>Mark

You need to tell the clients to stop using them....in XP...right-click on
my computer and do it in there "Properties"....not sure on 2000 as all I
have is XP pro.  You can also try going into smbldap.conf and working with
this section

snip...

# The UNC path to profiles locations without the username last extension
# (will be dynamically prepended)
# Ex: \\My-PDC-netbios-name\profiles\
# Just set it to a null string if you want to use the smb.conf 'logon path'
# directive and/or desabling roaming profiles
userProfile="\\MIDNIGHT-PDC\profiles\"

snip...

Notice that it tells you how to disable it....let me know what you do (and
what works) and I'll include it in the docs when I rewrite them.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org