[K12OSN] migrating machine accounts to new server

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu Aug 4 16:14:41 UTC 2005

rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
> Has anyone tried to migrate machine (computer) accounts from an old
> server to a new one?  Is this possible?  I hate to have to go around and
> have 500 xp boxes rejoin the new domain controller.  I am replacing an
> older redhat server with a new one.

We have successfully done samba 3 to samba 3 migrations including the
machine accounts albeit the manual way (with success defined as being
able to walk up to a windows 2000 box that had been previously joined to
the domain and have it log on with no changes on the workstation). Just
for simplicity I'll attach the openoffice doc that was created to let
our other admins know what the process was. This assumes that nothing on
the network changes (ip structure, domain name, server hostname etc.)
except for a fresh linux/samba installation.

I mentioned this on the samba list when we were dealing with it a few
months ago and John Terpstra mentioned that he'd be adding a section to
the samab howto on the subject. Haven't check to see if it's there yet.

I will note that we were using the smbpasswd passdb backend when we
migrated. If you are using tdbsam it will undoubtedly change some things
though it may only be in what file you need to move/merge/migrate.

Anyway, FWIW the attached tells how we did it. I haven't changed the doc
from what was distributed when we did it so you'll just have to ignore
items that are specific to our situation (ip ranges, usersync users
etc.). We did this on about 20 servers. It isn't as bad as it may look.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable
events occur with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and
no one is given credit.
      -Nigel Cunningham (lkml)