[K12OSN] problems with win2000 joining a samba/ldap domain

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Fri Aug 5 00:35:16 UTC 2005

Randall Swift wrote:
> I cannot seem to get a windows 2000 machine to join the ldap/samba domain.
> I get the following error: the specified domain either does not exist or
> could not be contacted. I can ping the server and I can even see it in
> network neighborhood. Any ideas? Thanks

You don't mention your version of samba but with Samba 2.2.x I get this
error unless I  change some registry entries or change some settings in
gpedit.msc on the windows clients to get them to join the domain.

You can google for Require Sign or Seal.

I don't think this is required for Samba 3, but maybe someone else can
confirm this.

Ben Nickell