[K12OSN] samba admin account problem (from David T)

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Aug 5 03:01:49 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, August 4, 2005 at 6:55 PM +0000 wrote:
>I know that this is going to seem quite simple, but for some reason this
>stumps me over and over.  When I am setting up samba as a PDC, I use the
>command "smbpasswd -a root" to use the root account as the account to
>allow windoze machines to join the domain.  I am using the create machine
>account script in smb.conf to auto add the machine account to samba.
>When I try the first one, I get the message that the username or password
>is invalid.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?
>

>Thanks so much,

Two things that may have gotten you...one is...did you run

smbldap-populate –a root

the second is....and the biggest gotcha is commenting out

#root=administrator admin

in the /etc/samba/smbusers  file

Read below for more info....this file can be found as part of the
smbldap-installer script (which you should be using if you want to make
life a lot easier)....or at http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap/
If using K12LTSP 4.4 beta...get the latest smbldap-installer (version 2)
at Matt's site http://majen.net/smbldap/

This is cut from my Samba/LDAP how-to....

*snip*

Step 12: Populating the database

Now we need to populate the data (ldif). This is easy to do....simply type

smbldap-populate

Note:  In later versions of smbldap-tools the preferred method is to run

smbldap-populate –a root

Note:  if you do this
skip Step 13 and proceed to Step 13a

this will run a script that will populate the database with a built-in
directory structure. It should just
run....any errors and something is amiss.....check your stuff from
previous steps.

Step 13: Setting the Administrator password...

We also need to set a password and make a tweak for a “special” account...
Administrator This account
was created when you ran smbldap-populate. It is vital as it is the
account that will be used to join
Windows machines to the Samba Domain. It must have a uid of “0”. One very
important thing we
need to do is comment out a line in the /etc/samba/smbusers file. To do
this let's go to the directory...

cd /etc/samba

and then edit the file

gedit smbusers

find the line that shows ....

root=administrator admin

and comment it out by adding the # symbol

#root=administrator admin

then save and exit.

Now let's set the password. To set the password for the Administrator
account type...

smbpasswd -a Administrator

and enter a password of your choosing. Don't forget it as you'll need it
when you start adding Windows
machines to your domain.

Step 13a: Setting the Administrator (root) password...

To set the password for the root account type...

smbpasswd -a root

and enter a password of your choosing. Don't forget it as you'll need it
when you start adding Windows
machines to your domain.

Note:  When you add machines to the Windows domain (from the Windows
workstation) you will use “root” as the user along with the password you
set here

*snip*

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator