[K12OSN] one slow terminal - one fast one.

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Aug 6 03:05:34 UTC 2005

Yes, I have seen this.  Many times.

Dell Optiplex GX1's, of which my district has a ton, are known to have
issues with the BIOS with respect to the built-in NICs.  Depending on
the BIOS revision, some will stay locked at 10Mbps/HalfDuplex, and
others won't even PXE boot.  Your slow-responding terminal sounds like
it likely has the 10Mb/HDX locking issue.  Flashing the Optiplex's BIOS
has fixed the problem for me every time.

Jim, if you're reading this by any chance, then just in case, it'd be a
good idea to flash the BIOS's on all the Optiplexes you sell, if you're
not already doing it.  And I agree with you; they make very fine LTSP
terminals.  It's a shame my district is throwing them out (hint hint).

--TP