[K12OSN] Voice recognition software?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Aug 7 20:40:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 02:45:10PM +1000, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One student of ours (primary school) has great difficulty reading and
> writing
> but is able to communicate fairly well verbally. So his teachers were
> wondering
> if there was FOS software that would turn his words into text to help him
> on a
> bit. Any ideas?

Once upon a time there was a commercial product (IBM's ViaVoice), but they
apparently canned the project due to lack of interest.  (I spoke with someone
at an IBM booth at an expo once, and he was grumbling how Linux people only
want things for free... *sigh*)

They may have resurrected it since, as that was a couple of years ago.

Doing a quick search brought up some interesting tidbits...

  Google: "voice recognition linux"

    * Speech Recognition for Linux
      (Collection of links, info and history on the subject)
      http://volker.dnsalias.net/linux/speechrec.html

    * Speech Recognition HOWTO
      (HOWTO last updated in April 2002)
      http://www.gear21.com/speech/html/

    * Perlbox.org
      (Seems to be voice control, rather than dictation)
      http://perlbox.org/

    * LumenVox's Speech Recognition Engine
      (Commercial API for Windows & Linux, dunno if it, itself, does dictation)
      http://www.lumenvox.com/products/sre/

    * Voice Recognition on Linux (blog entry)
      (A sad report of the state of speech recog. on Linux, from May 2004)
      http://www.raditha.com/blog/archives/000299.html

    * Speak to me, Linux
      (An article covering recognition and synthesis, from January 2005!!!)
      http://applications.linux.com/applications/05/01/18/2148234.shtml

  SourceForge.net:  "voice recognition"

    * [well, some stuff, but nothing I saw that was too interesting]

  Freshmeat.net:  "voice recognition"

    * [pretty much NOTHING worth speaking of]

Hope that helps!  If anyone comes up with anything good, let us know! :)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th