[K12OSN] Experience with Gnome and 100MB per terminal?

Mike Heins k12osn at perusion.com
Mon Aug 8 18:54:42 UTC 2005

I am putting in a new LTSP configuration with 30 terminals. I have
a server with a dedicated 100MB ethernet using switches, and it has
the latest 4.2.x K12LTSP with Fedora Core 3.

I have heard a number of things about memory and capacity, like
50M per client, Gnome and KDE are unusuable, IceWM is lowest
memory, etc. But I would dearly love to use Gnome instead of
the rather clunky IceWM.

What is the latest sense for capacity of a Gnome/Fedora Core 3
K12LTSP setup? Is 30 terminals too much for a server with 3GB
of RAM (processor is midrange Athlon 2400+)?

--
Mike Heins

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman