[K12OSN] Desperately Need help with Samba and Roaming Profiles

xyz xyz babaliciouse at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 21:50:10 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone - it's been a while since i last posted -
and today am in very desperate need of some
assistance. I'm not even really sure where to start
without this turning into a ten page essay.
Basically, i was removing some old users from the
system and fixing some permissions - when suddenly i
could no longer get a newly added user to log onto a
windows XP box - the error windows would prompt me
with is
"Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming
profile and is attempting to log you on with your
local profile. Changes to the profile will not be
copied to the server when you log off. The filename,
directory or volume label is incorrect"

It would appear however, that samba is in fact
creating a directory in PROFILES (the directory i tell
smb.conf to use), but for some reason no files can be
saved to that directory.

I am trying to understand WHO is the user that has to
be writing the contents of the /profiles/$U - I am
pretty sure somehow i messed up permissions - but am
at a total loss.

i'm attempting to look in the log files - but i have
no clue what it all means. I needs baby steps here so
if anyone is willing to spend a bit of time with me to
solve this problem - i would be ever so greatful.

i am even thinking about taking away roaming profiles
all together - the users don't really need it - but i
don't know how to do that either

babaliciouse at yahoo.com

Thanks

here is my smb.conf file

# /etc/samba/smb.conf
# samba configuration file
# last updated: 2/28/2002 by tms

[global]

   ;basic server settings
   workgroup = nwrc
   netbios name = samba
   server string = Samba PDC running %v
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

   ;PDC and master browser settings
   os level = 64
   preferred master = yes
   local master = yes
   domain master = yes

   ;add machine accounts
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g
machines -s /bin/false -M %u

   ;sync UNIX passwords
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*
new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd: *all*
authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

   ;security and logging settings
   security = user
#set to NO when first adding new win 98 machines
   encrypt passwords = yes
   domain logons = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 2
   max log size = 50
   hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0

   ;user profiles and home directory
   logon home = \\%L\%U\
   logon drive = H:
   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
   logon script = %U.bat

# ==== shares ====

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = no
  writeable = yes

[profiles]
  path = /samba/profiles
  read only = no
  writeable = yes
  browseable = no
 create mask = 0600    #default
 directory mask = 0700     #default
### create mask = 0777
### directory mask = 0777
  profile acls = yes

[netlogon]
  comment = Network Logon Service
  path = /var/netlogon
  read only = yes
  browseable = no
# create netlogon scripts
#  root preexec = /etc/samba/genlogon.pl %U %G %L

[management]
	writeable = yes
	browseable = no
	path = /shares/management
	valid users = dalet,robem,wilgd,yuham, at management
	directory mode = 770
	comment = Management Share
	create mode = 770

[administration]
	valid users =
dalet,robem,yuham,wilgd,lena,kingd,murrd,pichj,willm,zimmr, at management, at administrate
	create mode = 777
	writeable = yes
	directory mode = 777
	browseable = no
	path = /shares/administration
	comment = Administration Share

[instructors]
	valid users =
dalet,robem,yuham,wilgd,lena,kingd,murrd,pichj,willm,zimmr,hiebk,lorac,samsp,samspp,michj,hansc,sonnk,rogef,averc,chrik,andeb, at management, at administrate, at instructor
	create mode = 777
	force group = instructor
	write list = instructor
	writeable = yes
	browseable = no
	path = /shares/instructors
	comment = Instructors Share
	directory mode = 777

[students]
	valid users =
dalet,robem,yuham,wilgd,goerl,kingd,murrd,pichj,willm,zimmr,hiebk,lorac,samsp,samspp,michj, at management, at administrate, at instructor, at student
	create mode = 0777
	directory mode = 0777
	browseable = no
	writeable = yes