[K12OSN] Help verify bug....Samba/LDAP users on 4.4

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Aug 11 02:58:07 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I need your help.  I got my servers up and running today....got Samba/LDAP
installed (both servers are 4.4 pre3...one running LTSP and one not)  The
Samba/LDAP server runs OK, but there's an issue....nscd keeps dying.  It's
a bug in bugzilla as far as I know....164464 .  I want to verify if any of
you are having the same problem.  Can you check and see if your nscd
daemon is running?  Something like   service nscd status   Let me know
what's up.  Mine dies on reboot after about a minute....then if I restart
it runs for quite a while so long as I don't log in as root or do anything
like join a domain.  To restart nscd you need to clear the database (which
appears to get corrupted)

cd /var/db/nscd
rm -f *

and then restart nscd

I have this running as a cron job for now, but would really like to get it
fixed.  Can you verify?  Only appears to affect 4.4 (or FC4 machines)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org