[K12OSN] quotas

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 11 13:26:09 UTC 2005

> Is there a way to apply quotas to users already in the
> smbldap system? Mark

I can't be positive about past releases, but with the version 2.0-alpha
the answer for me was yes.  From within Webmin I went in to the Disk and
Network Filesystems and enabled user and group quotas for /home.  Then
went into Disk Quotas and clicked enable quotas.  If you have a large
home drive (mine is 1.2TB) don't be turned off here, after clicking
Enable Quotas your /home will show up as read only until all the proper
things for enabling quotas finish running.  For a drive the size of mine
this took about 45 minutes.  And in the meantime your webmin module
doesn't give you any indication of what is going on.  So my advice would
be click it, and go to lunch, a long lunch.  When you come back your
webmin link should have changed from Enable Quotas to Disable quotas.
Then you can click on /home (users) and select from a list of your
current LDAP users and give them quotas.

Oh, either reboot the system after enabling quotas in Disk and Network
Filesystems, or unmount and re-mount /home.  Also remember for quotas to
work on separate filesystems and not just globally on the whole system,
you need to be sure your filesystems reside on their own partition.

Hope that helps.