[K12OSN] Re: Help verify bug....Samba/LDAP users on 4.4

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Aug 11 16:12:19 UTC 2005

"Jim Kronebusch" <jim at winonacotter.org> on Thursday, August 11, 2005 at
9:33 AM +0000 wrote:
>> I need your help.  I got my servers up and running
>> today....got Samba/LDAP installed (both servers are 4.4
>> pre3...one running LTSP and one not)  The Samba/LDAP server
>> runs OK, but there's an issue....nscd keeps dying.  It's a
>> bug in bugzilla as far as I know....164464 .  I want to
>> verify if any of you are having the same problem.  Can you
>> check and see if your nscd
>> daemon is running?  Something like   service nscd status   Let me know
>> what's up.  Mine dies on reboot after about a minute....then
>> if I restart it runs for quite a while so long as I don't log
>> in as root or do anything like join a domain.
>
>Mine was indeed dead.  Maybe this explains some intermittent problems I
>have had.  When I issued service nscd status I received the message
>"nscd dead but subsys locked".  I restarted with /etc/init.d/nscd start
>and it ran for about 30-40 seconds and then died with the same message.

**************
Clearing the database appears to keep it running longer.  It's a pretty
prevalent bug on bugzilla (redhat)...so I suspect a fix will come soon.
>From what I read it is a problem with nscd and gcc....possibly a bad
build.  One guy mentioned that updating to the newest nscd in "rawhide"
(which I can't figure out how to access) seems to have fixed it for him.
Another said updating to the testing version of glibc and nscd did it, but
then he had bigger issues later on...such as getent not working thus it
makes the server so ssh and all those types of services quit.  So....not
sure whether to wait or downgrade my Samba/LDAP server....no users on it
yet so it's not a big deal....yet.
**************

>> To restart
>> nscd you need to clear the database (which appears to get corrupted)
>>
>> cd /var/db/nscd
>> rm -f *
>>
>> and then restart nscd
>>
>> I have this running as a cron job for now, but would really
>> like to get it fixed.  Can you verify?  Only appears to
>> affect 4.4 (or FC4 machines)
>
>I am running 4.4.0 Pre3 at the moment with smb/ldap 2.0-alpha.
>Everything has been freshly yum updated.  Performing the cd /var/db/nscd
>and rm -f * and restarting as you suggested appears to have kept it
>running.
*****************

It'll run for a while, but will eventually die, hence my cron job....which
runs every 5 mins.  I just made an executable out of:

cd /var/db/nscd
rm -f *
/sbin/service nscd restart

then chmod the file with a+x

I then used webmin to make it a cron job that ran every 5 mins.
******************

>Keep me posted on what you find with this.  How often do you have your
>cron run at the moment?  Could you send me you file quick?  Also, what
>exactly are the problems you see when nscd dies?
problems?  lot of difficulty joining the domain....I was able to join
right after reboot and I attribute that to nscd still running.  LDAP can
be a bit slow thus nscd helps in that manner with caching.

>Thanks Dave

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School