[K12OSN] Tossing around an idea...need some input

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Aug 13 16:14:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 09:16, John Baillie wrote:
>  Now...up until now I've only had one big
> >K12LTSP server so all of this was easy...now I have another and would like
> >to try a combination of load-balancing and/or failover.
> >

> For multiple ltsp servers it seems like we need even more information.
> Like what's the state of all our servers. Run a script that queries
> servers and builds a file. Apply logic to said file and determine what
> server dhclient will poll.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

I think the simple approach is to let each server run it's own DHCP
server with non-overlapping ranges.  The first one to respond to a
new query gets the client and the number of addresses in the range
puts a top limit on the number each will accept.   If you need
better balancing than that you could hack in a tiny delay in the
DHCP server's answer based on the current number of connections.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com