[K12OSN] Can't Join NT Machine to Samba Domain

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Sat Aug 13 17:58:08 UTC 2005

Hello all,
    I addressed this issue earlier to no avail, so I thought I'd try
again.  I've got several Windows NT 4 machines that have to be added to
our new Samba/LDAP domain.  Upgrading isn't an option and not having
domain security on these machines isn't an option.  I've been able to
add XP and 2K machines to the domain with no trouble at all, and on
seemingly random occasions I can get the odd NT4 machine to join.  On
the XP and 2K machines it was not necessary to create a machine name at
the PDC manually, the workstation takes care of all that during the
process of joining the domain.  When I attempt join an NT machine to the
domain and tell it to add a machine account I get the error message "The
machine account for this computer either does not exist or is
inaccessible."  If I add the machine account manually at the PDC and try
to join the domain without adding the machine account I get the error
"Unable to connect to the domain controller for this domain.  Have your
administrator check your computer account on this domain."  If I add the
machine account manually at the PDC and then try to join the domain at
the workstation and check the option to add a machine account to the
domain the existing machine account is removed from the PDC but a new
one isn't created and I get the same error:  "The machine account for
this computer either does not exist or is inaccessible."  So, I know
that the workstation is contacting the PDC because it's triggering the
necessary script to remove the existing machine account.  However, it
seems there's something amiss with the way it tries to add a new machine
account.  I can't even begin to imagine why it does work occasionally.
I hope this extra information will help someone point me in the right
direction.  Any help would be appreciated.

--

C-ya,
Mark