[K12OSN] Tossing around an idea...need some input

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Aug 14 01:50:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 14:15, John Baillie wrote:

> There are some who are saying overlapping DHCP is ok and others who say
> it's not ok.

The dhcp server attempts to ping an address that it thinks should
be available before offering it to a client, so most of the time
it will work to have static IPs or addresses handed out by a
different server with the same range, but there is always a
change of a race where the same address is given out by both
at the same time.

> In a mixed environment all on the same subnet I'm wondering what the
> effect of standalone PCs has on the IP addresses available to terminals.
> For instance PC1 reserves 192.168.1.1, iBook1 reserves 192.168.1.2 this
> may or may not be a factor but it appears that stand alone PCs could
> reserve all available ips for a particular terminal server.

You can make the netmask 'wider' if you need more addresses.  The
common 255.255.255.0 gives you 256 addresses. 255.255.254.0 would
give you 512, 255.255.252 would be 1024, etc.  As long as you
stay in the reserved private space you only have to worry about
conflicts within your own organization (until someone decides
to make private connections with another organization...).

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com