[K12OSN] Help! LDAP DIsappeared

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Mon Aug 15 23:04:10 UTC 2005

Hello all,
    I need some urgent help here.  We're in our second week of school
and things have been going fairly well with our new Samba/LDAP server up
until this afternoon.  Seemingly without reason our PDC stopped
responding.  I could still ping it, I could still log in as root via
VNC, I could still do Webmin stuff, but the server simply will not
authenticate users.  I clicked on "LDAP Users and Groups" in Webmin and
it said that it couldn't connect to the LDAP server.  I tried a few of
the things in the /opt/IDEALX/sbin directory and got the same message.
The system shows that slapd is running, and I haven't changed any
settings anywhere.  When I rebooted the server to see if that would help
I couldn't get an X display at the machine- I could via VNC.  The error
said something about a /var/log/ file being missing.  When I checked I
found that the whole /var/log directory was missing.  I have no idea how
that could have happened.  There are only two of us with access to the
system and neither of us were actively using it at the time.  Whether or
not those two things correlate, I don't know.  I created a new /var/log/
directory and that at least let me log into the system locally.  Could
there be some file or directory missing that LDAP needs in /var/log?  I
have only been backing up /home on this server, so I can't just go to
the archives for whatever I may need.  At the moment I have over 700
users who can't access anything, so I would greatly appreciate any help
or advice that anyone could offer.  Thanks in advance.

--
C-ya,
Mark