[K12OSN] "realPlayer 10 for Linux is here"

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Aug 17 12:59:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 07:19, Rita Gibson wrote:

> > Podcasting seems to be the current big thing although that involves
> > the wrapper xml and technique to publish and subscribe more than
> > the encoding but it seems like a natural for education topics.  Is
> > anything available to subscribe to a remote feed and make a local
> > copy available to multiple clients.
> >

> They do have podcasts, but I am pretty media challenged! I think I have
> heard you can download a program and listen later, but I didn't think
> about this possibility. So what kind of a program would you play this
> type of file with?
>
> http://www.npr.org/podcasts/

There are 2 or 3 steps to listening to a podcast.  First you
locate them though their xml/web links and download them or
subscribe if it is a recurring feed.  The optional 3rd step is
to sync with your ipod/mp3 player so you can listen from the
portable device.  If you have a windows or mac box around it
would be easiest to download to latest version of itunes from
apple: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ as the reference
for how it is supposed to work because the interface is very
simple. You might also be able to configure itunes to store
its media files on the server drive where you would be able
to play them from other clients.  I usually try playing media
with videolan client (vlc) first because it handles just about
everything but I don't know how the sound works on clients.
http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php and a couple of other
progams look like they should work as native linux clients
but I haven't tried any yet.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com