[K12OSN] Printer on thin client

Scott Sherrill scott at remc1.org
Wed Aug 17 17:39:08 UTC 2005

k12osn at redhat.com wrote:

>That was part of the question.  The other part is what do I need to do
>in root or where ever to set the printer up so it works.  Is there
>possibly a wiki or can you give me a set of instructions to follow?
>Thanks

In the lts.conf file there is a little blip on how to do what you are
hoping for

#
# Example of a parallel printer attached to /dev/lp0 on workstation ws001
#
#[ws001]
#    PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/lp0
#    PRINTER_0_TYPE     = P              # P-Parallel, S-Serial

When ws001 boots up it is now a jetdirect server sharing the printer
connected to the parallel port.   From there you add it as a printer
like you would any other jetdirect connected printer.  There are other
options you can do like flow control etc, but I've found those two lines
are all you need.

I have 2 or 3 printers right now hooked up to thin client jet direct
boxes and they work great.

Scott Sherrill