[K12OSN] Printing from a thin client: the improved version.

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Aug 19 18:29:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:45:00AM -0600, jconlon1 at elp.rr.com wrote:
> If we could afford to buy jetdirect devices we would be able to buy
> newer printers.  We are doing with what we have and what we can make
> work.  Any other suggestions?

At home we've set up a diskless workstation for printing. The workstation
is a little slow while printing takes place, but still usable (533 MHz
Via C3, kinda equivalent to a 300-350 PII).

1) set workstation up with static IP address (in /etc/dhcpd.conf - you'll
  need to remove the workstation's record in /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases)
  Here's the relevant part of our dhcpd.conf:

    host ws003 {
        hardware ethernet     00:40:63:D3:22:F7;
        fixed-address         192.168.0.3;
    }

2) set workstation config in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf. Here's ours:

[00:40:63:d3:22:f7]
    PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/lp0
    PRINTER_0_TYPE     = P              # P-Parallel, S-Serial

3) Add printer (directly with cups, or with system-config-print). Use
  workstation's IP address and specify "Jetdirect" as interface type.
  Here's our /etc/cups/printers.conf after using system-config-print:

<DefaultPrinter lp0>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
Location
DeviceURI socket://ws003:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes