[K12OSN] Printing from a thin client: the improved version.

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Aug 19 18:38:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 13:01, Petre Scheie wrote:
> Nobody seems to be answering your original question: how to setup local printers.  See
> Chapter 5 of the LTSP docs at
> http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-4.1/ltsp-4.1.3-en.html#AEN700
>
> It's pretty simple.  As a similar alternative, if you have spare machines lying around,
> you could make them into print servers; that way access to the printer isn't dependent
> on the client being turned on.

Long, long ago, I think I set up a remote print server that accepted
postscript on the network side and fed it to ghostscript locally
before sending to to parallel-port printer.  It wasn't a thin client
and even if I could remember how I did it, it would be different
now but it seems like it should still be possible to offload the
cpu work to the intermediate box if you wanted.

--
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com