[K12OSN] Microsoft Office on K12 LTSP

Shane Stafford staffords at glenburn.net
Sun Aug 21 20:09:42 UTC 2005

I have three new schools implementing K12 LTSP this fall.  One of them
really wants Microsoft Office available to the students.  Researching
WINE, it appears this can only be done with Codeweavers.  It also looks
like the Educational price for Network Server version is

Server Software Module  $486.50
25 Client licenses $1,120

I appears they would need to purchase both those.  To me it seems at that
rate they are almost close to buying another server and making it a 2003
windows terminal server.  Of course that brings another set of complex and
expensive license options.

They own plenty of desktop copies of Office 2000.

Anyone have a recommended implementation model?  Or can shed some light on
either Codeweaver licensing or 2003 Windows Terminal Server licensing.

My goal will be to educate them how easy it is to use Open Office and
Microsoft Office (exists still in their business lab) but I want to be
able to tell them their options.

thanks
Shane

Shane Stafford, MCSE, MCT
Director Information Services Glenburn School and Town
Educational System Integrator/Network Engineer
S & B Consulting