[K12OSN] Eric's Squidguard on Ubuntu?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Aug 23 04:22:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, richard ingalls wrote:

> I think I'd like to try Ubuntu as a proxy server /
> intranet web server.  However, I LOVE Eric's
> squidGuard that's on the K12LTSP distro.  Can I get
> the same functionality on an Ubuntu box?  How do I
> make my Ubuntu box to update it's blacklists nightly
> like my Fedora boxes?  How can I take Eric's RPM and
> rebuild it to work on Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks.

The auto-update part is just a cron job & a shell script. It would be
easy just to copy those over to another server:

 	/etc/cron.daily/squidGuard
 	/usr/sbin/update_squidguard_blacklists

You may need to adjust the paths in the update_squidguard_blacklists
to match the locations in the Ubuntu package.

The only other thing that may be different is the "Google SafeSearch"
hack. As far as I know that patch is unique to K12LTSP. I documented
that when I was at Ubuntu DownUnder, so it is possible that they may
add it to their next release...

-Eric