[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Tue Aug 23 16:42:55 UTC 2005

On 23 Aug 2005, at 5:08 PM, richard ingalls wrote:

> I think I'm going to go for it with Ubuntu.  I LOVE
> the idea of only needing ONE CD to install from!  Most
> people in the US (especially schools) already have a
> DSL or faster connection.  (Schools in the US can get
> very fast internet connections for a very reasonable
> price due to government money earmarked for this
> purpose).  So, downloading the additional packages
> from Ubuntu and other public mirrors strategically
> located across the globe should be no problem.  As for
> other nations... I can't say; I don't know.

In South Africa the idea of just one CD makes it somewhat less useful
than it could be for schools here (A little ironic considering Ubuntu
has been created by a South African). I like that K2LTSP ships with
everything and the kitchen sink (although of course you use just disc
1 if you want to). The sites where I deploy labs in rural South
Africa have no Internet at all, not to mention broadband which only
exists in selected urban areas, so the approach of downloading the
extra stuff doesn't work. The multi-disc approach of K12LTSP
addresses this and all I need to do is mail the latest set of discs
to sites that I have set up so that they can upgrade.

ed