[K12OSN] Re:Ubuntu thoughts...

Michael Picone Michael_Picone at gbsd.gresham.k12.or.us
Tue Aug 23 20:16:19 UTC 2005

Ubuntu is a good distro, IMO. It is easy to install (no GUI installer though, I don't know your experience level. If you are not used to text installs it can take some time to get used to at first). Ubuntu is based off of Debian (which is my fav
distro at the moment along with Slackware) and has "apt-get" as well as a cool GUI package front end for apt called "Synaptic". Apt is much better than "yum" but still hasn't quite reached the level of Gentoo's "emerge" yet, IMHO. If you are used to
Fedora then you will love Ubuntu save maybe the default GUI is a little more raw and not as developed. But anyway, it is great to hear someone is taking the time to develop Ubuntu into a "K12" type project for those of us who aren't big fans of
Fedora or Red Hat. Now if we could only get someone with the time to build an ed version of SuSE.....

Mike Picone

Linux Support Technician
Computer/Network Technician
Gresham-Barlow School District