[K12OSN] /dev/dsp permission problem

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Wed Aug 24 16:46:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

Almost every time when I log into a client I get the error, (arg, I
forget the exact error message).  Anyway, it's about /dev/dsp not being
opened, or in use by something else, or something.  The fix that works
every time is chmod 777 /dev/dsp .  So, my question is, what's the best
way to automate this?  Should I do it at login?  I have no idea how to
do that, but it seems like it makes more sense than a cron job which
might do it unecessarily, or not do it when needed.  Can someone walk me
through the steps of getting that command to execute (as root, I'm
assuming) when a regular user logs into a client?

Thanks a lot,

ck