[K12OSN] /dev/dsp permission problem

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Aug 25 03:31:26 UTC 2005

Carl Keil wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've spent all day off and on trying different things.  I put the line
> "chmod 777 /dev/dsp" into about 6 different scripts and it's not
> working anywhere I tried.  (shooting blindly, /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
> Xstartup, Xstartup.ltsp, etc. etc.)  Can someone puhleeaaaze tell me
> what line do I need to put into which script in order for permissions
> to /dev/dsp to get reset whenever a user logs in before it throws the
> alert box?   The warning message is popping up a little less than
> halfway through the startup sequence (right after the little tools in
> the KDE splash screen.)
> This is on the FC2 based distro of k12ltsp, I don't know the version
> number.  KDE is the environment.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> ck

You don't have to do that with K12LTSP.  I'm running the FC3 version,
and I ran the RHL 9 version before that, and the default permissions are
fine for sound.  REPEAT:  you don't have to tweak the permissions on
/dev/dsp for sound to work.  That is not the problem here.

There is a known issue with KDE and LTSP terminals with regard to
sound.  Sound is known not to work with KDE on the terminals; it works
great with GNOME, though.  I think this is due to the ARTS sound daemon
and how it wants exclusive control of the sound device.  Since I
personally tend to prefer KDE on my desktops, I thought that this was
kinda unfortunate, but it did give me impetus to try out GNOME.  I'm
starting to get used to it and like it, too.

Of course, if you don't need sound on your terminals, and many school
computer labs actually do turn that off for obvious reasons, KDE is
still a great choice.

All that said, if you just insist on tweaking permissions just for fun,
then if you do it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, it should happen at reboot of
the K12LTSP server.  This, BTW, applies to any UNIX-like system.  You
can also issue the command at a terminal window (as root).

--TP