[K12OSN] IceWM as default in 4.4....still need some help

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Aug 26 03:16:20 UTC 2005

Hey folks,

I still need some help with the whole IceWM as the default in gdm on
K12LTSP 4.4 (FC 4).  Things have changed and you can't simply go into the
config file and set DefaultDesktop=icewm.desktop as it won't really be the
System Default.  I've followed a couple of the suggestions earlier, but
they either take everything away except IceWM...(I'd still like to be able
to get to Gnome for some management stuff) or they don't really make IceWM
the default for the System.  In fact, taking away all privileges for
gnome.desktop and kde.desktop (chmod a-wrx) made them show up in the
Session chooser at Login as "foo"....I had a whole list of "foo's".

So....problem #1....I need to make IceWM the default while still leaving
the door open for me to connect to Gnome once in a while to do some admin
stuff like printers etc.  (sometimes the GUI is nice)  I want the kids to
not have to make a choice, but to simply have the session log in to IceWM
unless they go out of their way to choose Gnome or Reset Desktop (which
they won't).

Problem #2...Is there some way to clean up the Session chooser on the
login screen?  I have multiple instances of IceWM, Gnome, and so
forth....not to mention the "foo's".....I'd like to clean it up...this is
easy to do in KDM....can it be done in GDM?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org